Levelling the floor is one of the main steps in installing tiles. The performance and aesthetic appeal of the flooring depend on the quality of the work performed.
When preparing a floor for a tiling, first of all, a set of certain measures should be performed.
The general sequence is as follows
- Dismantle the old coating (if any).
- All fragments of the previous coating are removed, and the debris is removed.
- Dust is removed with a vacuum cleaner.
- If there are any voids (slots, channels, etc.), they are sealed, because if you leave them, then you will receive significant losses of the solution when pouring.
- For the best effect, it is advisable to wipe the entire floor surface with a damp cloth and let it dry. This achieves complete dust removal. True, it is impossible to start pouring the screed until the surface is completely dry.
- The base is primed with a special compound (primer) to increase the adhesion of the mortar to the base. In addition, the primer has some kind of waterproofing effect.
- The determination of the greatest differences in height is carried out and the setting of profiles – beacons using a laser level.
- At the end of the preparation, the room must be ventilated. Close windows and doors after ventilation. the screed does not favour drafts too much and the ambient temperature is below + 5⁰С.
The floor screeding is an intermediate layer that is located between the base and the floor covering. If the surface difference is between 3 and 10 cm, use a cement screed. For a relatively flat base, special mixtures are used to level the floor.
There are two types of floor levelling compounds. Some need to be applied by hand, others – spread over the base of the floor on their own (self-levelling).
The levelling mixture of the first type is diluted with water to the desired consistency. It is applied to the lighthouses with a metal spatula. The height of the screed layer should be between 10 and 30 mm.
Self-levelling mixtures are made on a cement basis with the addition of plasticizing and reinforcing additives. Due to its special properties, the material spreads, forming a solid and reliable base. In the process of levelling the floor with a self-levelling mixture, beacons and levels are not needed, and a needle roller is required to remove air bubbles.