Tile is a popular finishing material. They are beautiful and durable, and you can choose a variant to suit a variety of interiors and budgets. But even a durable material can get damaged, spoiling the view and interfering with the functionality of the coating. But it’s not always worth replacing the entire finish. Sometimes the defect can be dealt with independently.
How and what to fix a chipped tile on the floor
If the damage is minor, you can cope with it with the help of decorative methods. This method is a common method among professional floor tilers.
Grout in the color of the tiles
To fix a chipped tile, you will need to prepare the following tiling tools:
- rubber trowel
- colored grout
- fine-grained sandpaper
Using a rubber spatula, the grout must be carefully applied To the place of a crack or chipping. Smooth the joint and leave it to dry completely. dry. Next, you need to remove any roughness or irregularities. This is what you’ll need a fine-grained sandpaper.
Grouting with Ceramic Paint
To remove a chipped tile with ceramic paint, you will need:
- fine sandpaper
- paint for ceramics of a suitable shade
Grind the chip with fine sandpaper, and then fill it with putty. After the putty has dried completely, you need to prime the chipped area, and then paint with ceramic paint. If the necessary tone of paint is not available in the store, you can tint an ordinary white. All specialty stores offer this service. To make it easier to choose the right color, you should bring a sample of the tile, or take a picture of it in daylight.
Caulking a chip with epoxy and pigment
In order to fill a chipping with epoxy resin and pigment, you need to prepare:
- epoxy resin
- tint of the desired color
- masking tape
- rubber trowel
- fine sandpaper
Since epoxy resin is colorless, you must first give it the desired shade. To do this, use a tint of a suitable color.
- The place of formation of the defect should be degreased. Adjacent tiles should be covered with painter’s tape so that the excess product does not allow undamaged areas to be exposed to the product.
- Give the putty the desired color.
- Mix the colored putty with the epoxy resin.
- Smear the damaged area with the prepared putty and smooth it out with a rubber putty knife.
- Remove the excess putty.
- Wait until the solution is completely dry.
- Sand the chipped area with fine sandpaper.
- Coat with varnish.
Repairing chipped tiles on the wall
A chipped or cracked ceramic tile on the wall can be repaired using the same methods as on the floor: grout, epoxy, pigmented epoxy, and ceramic paint putty.
Using decorative stickers
For tile restoration on the wall, vinyl stickers are suitable. This method takes little time and allows you to be creative in solving the problem.
The chipped area must be degreased before gluing the sticker. Reconstruction will not be necessary, as the sticker will completely hide the crack.
To repair tile damage in the bathroom, you need to choose stickers that are resistant to moisture, steam and cleaning agents.
You can also find self-adhesive film on sale for in rolls. Working with it is more difficult than with stickers, as bubbles can form when decorating. To avoid this, the film has to be stretched when it is glued on.
Using accessories for masking
If using one of the methods, the repaired area is too noticeable, then it is worth showing design ingenuity and decorate the place with interior objects. For example, hang a beautiful holder for towels, put a laundry basket, hang a mirror, place a vase with flowers.
Replacing damaged tile elements in case of cracks and large chips
When local restoration is not possible, the only way out will be to replace the tiles. This method is more effective.
Replacing damaged tiles on the floor or wall is done As follows:
- Grouting the seams. The joints are cleaned all the way down to the base with a special reamer or a sharp object.
- Removing tiles. To do this, you need to pick it up and tear with force
from the surface. If you can’t do it, the glue must be moistened with a soapy solution. composition should be moistened with a soapy solution.
- Cleaning the adhesive. First remove the old adhesive from the base of the floor or wall. If it is very thick, you can soften it with a solvent.
- inspection of adjacent elements. If the nearby tiles are damaged or the quality of masonry is disturbed, it is better to remove them and re-lay them.
- Installation. The new coating is laid on the adhesive. Adhesive composition is prepared according to the instructions. It is more convenient to apply it to the tile itself.
- Alignment. After laying the tile in the prepared place, along its perimeter in the joints are inserted crosses. With the help of a construction level, the alignment takes place.
- Grouting of joints. Execute after the glue dries completely. It is necessary to pick up the same shade of grout as on the other joints. If this is not possible, it is recommended to renovate them completely.
Why tiles crack and how to avoid damage
The most common reasons for tile failure are the following:
- Rough mechanical impact. Often chips and cracks appear as a result of some heavy object falling on the floor.
- Careless preparation of the substrate. It is important not to forget to degrease the surface before starting work.
- The use of materials of low quality.
- Temperature fluctuations.
- Uneven substrate. Tile should be laid on a previously levelled surface.
- For the walls and floor it is necessary to use different materials. When buying, it is worth paying attention to what the coating is intended for.
- It is important to monitor the condition of the seams. Often in the process of operation, the tightness of the connection with the base is violated, as a result of which moisture gets inside.
Repairing glazed tiles is not a complicated matter. Even a beginner can cope with it. However, you should not forget about the observance of technology, careful attitude and proper operation to avoid restoration.